[olpc-help] Sticky keyboard keys; Please RMA the laptops

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sat Jan 5 19:35:49 EST 2008

Hi!

not sure if this is the ideal place to post this but i have been doing some experimentation with mine, sticky ctrl key mainly for me.

I have found that it is mainly related to the flex of the plastic surrounding and backing the keyboard. I never experienced any problems with the unit when typing in my lap but as soon as i used it on a hard, flat surface things went crazy. By manually flexing the case in your hands (only very gently) you can also replicate the problem. I would hypothesise that if the unit was always flush with a hard surface that the problem would be minimised or even eliminated. How this relates to the internals of the machine i don't know, but you can certainly replicate the problem 100% with this method on mine.

I will be RMAing my unit on Monday.