[olpc-help] Wifi Experiences and Non-broadcast SSIDs

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sat Jan 5 10:39:12 EST 2008

Just thought I'd relay my experiences, and ask two questions...
After much reading on the wiki and here, and a lot of messing about, I've found the following:
 - could only get WEP to work with build 650 (using Wpa.sh)
 - after upgrading to build 653, got WPA1 to work, but only using TKIP encryption.  Couldn't get AES to work (again, using Wpa.sh or not)
 - could not get WPA2 to work on build 653
 - could not establish a connection when the SSID is not broadcast (regardless of encryption or WEP/WPA settings). Also tried with Wpa.sh

So... two questions:
 - is this in line with what's 'known' out there, or did I miss something?
 - has anyone successfully established a connection to an AP without a broadcast SSID?  I suspect this is just a limitation of the Sugar UI's network display... and if so, can someone more linux savvy let me know if I can establish this connection from the command line?