[olpc-help] my failing xo

Gia DeGenova giad27 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 19:18:37 EST 2008

I received my xo laptop on Saturday 12/29/07 as part of the G1G1
project. I was delighted at it's performance until Tuesday 1/01/08
when the keyboard suddenly went nutty. At first the space bar and
delete keys began to work spastically. After 30 seconds they didn't
respond at all. Within a few minutes, none of the keys were drawing a
response from the computer, except when I pressed the R key, the
screen would flip. I found this to be very strange, so I went on the
support forums and found other users who had the same problem had
reinstalled the os and were problem free after doing so. I found this
information to be very helpful and I went on the wiki and followed
the instructions for reinstalling build 650 EXACTLY, to the point of
purchasing two brand new usb sticks (in order to try the process on
two different brands). After reinstalling countless times, I am still
having the same problem with the keyboard. I plugged my apple
keyboard into the usb drive, and it seemed to work great for about 20
minutes. Then I heard my 5 year old call to me, "Mommy, it's going
funny again!" Sure enough, the "r' key was fliping the screen and the
"a" key was bringing up the task bar. What am I supposed to do with a
computer that my daughter can't even write her name on? I'm desperate
for help. I don't know if it's a software issue or a hardware issue,
but I would like nothing more than to get to the bottom of this. I am
a supporter of the program and the organization, and I want it to be
successful. I would appreciate a response to this email with any
information that is currently available as to what my next step is to
getting this computer working correctly again.
Thank you, Gia DeGenova