[olpc-help] "flushing" nickname identity, returning to new sta

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 07:17:21 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 6:59 AM, Anonymous <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
wrote:

> Ya, it just seems like there should be an easier way than flashing the
> whole system back to stock.   Are all of the journal and nickname settings
> kept in the ~olpc folder?  If so it seems like you should be able to
> re-create that user and be back to square one as far as it's settings go...
>  I already almost clobbered the system per
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:D0li0#Reset_nickname_and_preferences.3F#1., but managed to recover relatively easily.  Thank goodness, cause I'm
> only borrowing the system from a coworker before it goes to his niece, but
> he would like to revert it for her so that's one of the things I was toying
> with.  Had he/we known then perhaps a copy (via a F1 console) of the ~olpc
> folder pre choosing a nickname would aid in quick reversion?  Anyone got a
> tar ball of that pristine folder handy?  I'm just worried that there's some
> other unique identifying information pre-configured into that folder before
> they ship... Any thoughts?

The 'quick reversion'  method is the one I mentioned.

The XO is /much/ more complicated than just settings in a folder. Consider,
for example, that upon first boot the XO generates for itself a psudo-random
cryptographic key which becomes it's unique identity among all XO's.

You would not want such information stored in an easily-mungable location.

The upgrade image is essentially a tarball of the whole system.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com