[olpc-help] "flushing" nickname identity, returning to new sta

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Thu Jan 3 06:59:39 EST 2008

Steve Holton wrote:

> >  Suppose you just wanted to "test drive" it before giving it to a son, daughter, niece, or nephew? You don't want them to have to use the nickname that you choose, nor see all the silly journal entries of you poking around the thing...
> >
> > I'm wondering if simply renaming the /home/olpc folder will force it to reinitialize that users home and all it's settings??? Might give it a try..
>
> Yup. Sounds like you're going to want to keep a re-flash image handy... ;-)

Ya, it just seems like there should be an easier way than flashing the whole system back to stock.   Are all of the journal and nickname settings kept in the ~olpc folder?  If so it seems like you should be able to re-create that user and be back to square one as far as it's settings go...  I already almost clobbered the system per http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:D0li0#Reset_nickname_and_preferences.3F #1., but managed to recover relatively easily.  Thank goodness, cause I'm only borrowing the system from a coworker before it goes to his niece, but he would like to revert it for her so that's one of the things I was toying with.  Had he/we known then perhaps a copy (via a F1 console) of the ~olpc folder pre choosing a nickname would aid in quick reversion?  Anyone got a tar ball of that pristine folder handy?  I'm just worried that there's some other unique identifying information pre-configured into that folder before they ship... Any thoughts?