[olpc-help] Updating and Software Builds

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Jan 2 19:27:52 EST 2008

dlang wrote:

> and if you can identify how joyride versions graduate into releases
> that can be installed by number so much the better.

Joyride is the bleeding edge of XO development.  Its built from the
latest packages the developers make.  We try our best to keep it in a
semi-working state but often its completely broken.

Joyride autobuilds around every hour or so if there are new packages to
pull.  Build announcements + changes are e-mailed to the developer list.

Right now a certain subset of Joyride will get moved into our "stable"
builds to fix critical issues and bring some of the new features online.

Eventually we will start forking joyride every so often and then just
commit bugfixes to that branch but right now its hard to do because
Joyride is very different than the Ship.x series.

Some of the new features (like full containerization of activities) are
very disruptive.  Update.x will bring it closer to Joyride but its going
to take a few more releases until we get things where we want them.

> I've got two (specifically so that I can experiment with one of
> them), but I don't yet have a good feel for how the various releases
> go together

The best thing you can do to help OLPC is to get a devkey, test Joyride
and Update.x (when they happen) builds and report problems.

You can see more info on whats planned in Update.x here:

http://dev.laptop.org/roadmap

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child