[olpc-help] Connecting XO to access point using WPA2

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Sun Feb 17 12:42:56 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 11:47 AM, Alexander Kienle <alexanderkienle at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I am an average educted person and I want to be aible to use my XO with our installed WPA2 network. I was able to install and maintain the network on our apple, but the described WPA2 update o the Support FAQ hompage is to complicated and I don't want to destroy the computer.
>
> Is there no file I can download and use to get this computer on a level I can use?

Although there is a script that you can use to get WPA working with
the software that ships with the Give One Get One machines (Build
650), it is probably best to upgrade to Build 656.  This is actually
not that difficult and is very unlikely to give you problems.  I don't
know which section of the Support FAQ you tried so I'm not sure if
these instructions will be easier than that, but hopefully they will
be.

To upgrade to Build 656, download the following files and put them on
a USB stick (it will have to be 1 GB or larger):

http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/latest/jffs2/os656.toc
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/latest/jffs2/os656.usb
http://dev.laptop.org/~cscott/olpc-update/olpccontents-1.9-1.20071218gitf983943bb7.i386.rpm
http://dev.laptop.org/~cscott/olpc-update/olpcupdate-2.0-1.20071219gitea3f1241e7.i386.rpm

Then put the USB stick in your XO, open up the Terminal activity, and
type the following:

su -
rpm -Uvh --force /media/*/olpc*.rpm
olpc-update --usb

This will update the XO's software to Build 656, which has built-in
support for WPA.  Let us know if you have any questions.

In the future, please include something in the subject line of your
e-mail that describes what the problem is.  People subscribed to this
list that are looking to help people are more likely to ignore a
message if it is not clear what the message is about from the subject
line.

Denver

The above instructions were adapted from the following sections of the wiki:
1. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#USB_upgrade
2. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#Workaround:_updating_olpc-update