[olpc-help] Forum news: RSS feeds

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:49:00 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Laurie DeMott <demotlj at alfred.edu> wrote:

> I went to the forum site but cannot find a place to sign up for an RSS.  I
> haven't yet registered with the site and am viewing it just as a guest and
> I'm wondering if that is the problem but before I registered, I thought I
> would ask if that's the case.  (I try not to sign on to many of those
> types of things to reduce my spam intake.)

Guests can view all forums, so the RSS feed will work for you, it just isn't
as prominent as it should. Kind of testing the waters, if you will. Links:

RSS: http://en.forum.laptop.org/syndication.php?type=rss

Alternatively, you can use the Atom link, which is an equivalent protocol,
more or less. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Atom: http://en.forum.laptop.org/syndication.php?type=atom

Either should work for you equally well. At the moment, it looks like the
feed is site-wide only. Going to make it per-forum, -category and -thread
this weekend.

> Laurie DeMott
>
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:18:09 -0500, Michael Burns <maburns at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > For those that wanted to follow along with the forum with RSS, you're in
> > luck. RSS and Atom feeds are now provided for the whole site and per
> > category, forum and thread. A bulk of posts go to the General Quesitons
> > forum[1] of course, and I encourage you to help answer questions that
> you
> > see come up.
> >
> > Go check out the forum:
> > http://en.forum.laptop.org/<http://forum.laptop.org/>
> >
> > [1] http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewforum.php?f=2
> >
> > <geek talk>
> > I've done something I maybe should have started with: I went ahead and
> > checked in the website to Git, the version control software that track
> > changes in many of OLPC's projects. This will let volunteers provide
> > "patches" to install a mod they would like to see on the site. Applying
> > phpBB's security updates will be done in 1 place, and all OLPC forums
> can
> > update at once (the English forum, any future language forums along and
> > even
> > the test server we run)
> >
> > Oh, and we're putting mod_security and hardened-php on the forum server,
> > as
> > extra layers of security. This will not change anything for the user, it
> > is
> > some of the behind the scenes precautions we're taking for the site.
> > </geek talk>

Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab