[olpc-help] SD cards KNOWN to work in XO?

Doug Jones djsdl at frombob.to
Wed Feb 6 16:26:30 EST 2008

I have now had a chance to play with multiple partitions on an SDHC card.

I used a 16GB SDHC card from A-Data.

I made two partitions on it, of roughly equal size.  The first is ext3,
flagged bootable.  The second is FAT32.

(I didn't do this on the XO.  I used a desktop machine, booted from a
GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-8.  The biggest stumbling block was finding a USB
camera card adapter that was compatible with SDHC  --  the dozens of
adapters available at Frys did not include a single model that could do
SDHC, but the two models I found at Target both worked!!    :-)

After partitioning, I inserted the card into the XO.  Both partitions
mounted automatically, and I can copy files back and forth between them
from the command line.

The Journal cannot see the ext3 partition.  But it does see the FAT32 one.

(This does not make sense to me...   Why would they make a Linux-based
file manager that cannot see an ext3 partition???)

I have made no attempt to put a bootable OS on the card.