[olpc-help] SD card usage per initial response.

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Apr 23 12:51:43 EDT 2008

Steve Kay wrote:
> In light of the following are we to assume the SD card slot was
> installed 100% for future development? A lot of work and filesystem
> trickery does not sound inviting, especially if place in a childs
> hands to go poof if XO is powered down (more likely used until battery
> low suspends machine).

It for future expansion yes.  It still has use right now its just not
automatic.

The current method for using the SD card would be put it in, copy your
files, and then unmount.  So you could say store lots of stuff there and
then swap it back and forth.

SD cards are not part of any of our deployment model so wrapping
automatic functionality around them has not been a priority.  SD cards
are really only an option to G1G1 type users.  When SD cards are sub $1
then they will be an option.

Its on the list.  But things like mesh robustness and other networking
related issues are the current priority.

I suppose if the trials we have going in US schools turn into full
deployments then SD use will increase.  Hopefully by then all the
"trickery" won't be necessary.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child