[olpc-help] connecting issue in Brooklyn

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 22:10:29 EST 2007

Hi Michael-

Your symptoms are pretty common. There are known problems with WEP
in the 650 (shipping) load.

The solution you came up with (disable WEP) is one of the more common
ones for those who can do that.

Other possible solutions include:
  - other security settings your Access Point might have: 128 Bit WAP is
better supported in the 650 load.
 - Upgrade to the 653 load:  See:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upgrade

Take a look at this page, consider your options, and let us know back here
which one you want to pursue.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com

On Dec 31, 2007 10:04 PM, Michael Moss <mossm at nytimes.com> wrote:

> OK, this is really dumb, I know. But I've been through the FAQs and
> XO forums and don't see anything quite for my problem, which must be
> quite typical.
>
> We're having trouble connecting our son's XO to our home wireless
> system. We have Verizon DSL wireless at home, with a WEP 64-bit
> encryption passcode. All works well when I take the WEP off, and run
> the wireless system unsecured. The XO connects just fine. But when
> the WEP is on, I can't get the XO connected. I tried using the same
> passcode we use for our microsoft and mac laptops. No luck, I also
> tried converting the passcode to HEX, but that seems to require a 128-bit
> code.
>
> Thanks for your guidance.
>
> Rgds and happy new year,
>
> Michael Moss