[olpc-help] connecting issue in Brooklyn

Michael Moss mossm at nytimes.com
Mon Dec 31 22:04:27 EST 2007

OK, this is really dumb, I know. But I've been through the FAQs and
XO forums and don't see anything quite for my problem, which must be
quite typical.

We're having trouble connecting our son's XO to our home wireless
system. We have Verizon DSL wireless at home, with a WEP 64-bit
encryption passcode. All works well when I take the WEP off, and run
the wireless system unsecured. The XO connects just fine. But when
the WEP is on, I can't get the XO connected. I tried using the same
passcode we use for our microsoft and mac laptops. No luck, I also
tried converting the passcode to HEX, but that seems to require a 128-bit code.

Thanks for your guidance.

Rgds and happy new year,

Michael Moss