[olpc-help] Keyboard issues - stuck keys, keys registering erroneously

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Dec 30 12:22:55 EST 2007

I also have control key (and other key) problems. The keyboard test of the boot-up diagnostic (holding left rocker key under left speaker while powering on) confirmed the problem.  Sometimes the control key goes on when the 'a' is pressed and sometimes it goes on by itself, and it stays on until it (the control key) is pressed, or it can be released by pinching the rubber covering (as suggested above).  Sometimes it is another key that stays on after being pressed (I noticed problems with the
i, s, 1, and ; keys).   I am betting this is a hardware issue (possibly the rubber covering fits too tightly).

Unfortunately, while actually using the XO, you don't get feedback that the control key has accidentally gone on, or a key is stuck down. All you know is that the keyboard is not working correctly (or at all). It may be that a key is stuck down, but which one? I have had the XO basically become useless several times and had to reboot, only to have the problem resurface when it came back up. Now I know what the problem is, but that doesn't help the user experience any.