[olpc-help] New D-Link Wireless Router might be a problem - solution

CrunchyDoodle community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sat Dec 29 13:13:23 EST 2007

My grandchildren's two XO machines had no trouble connecting to my old Buffalo wireless router with 128-bit WEP security. I could also see about a dozen wireless nodes from around the condo complex where I live. Most were locked and some had WEP and others were using the newer WPA security.

Yesterday I upgraded the whole network here by replacing my old Buffalo router and two Buffalo access points with the newest D-Link N hardware (a D-Link DIR-655 and two DAP-1555). While even the wireless digital picture frame we have upstairs could see and connect to the new wireless network, alas, the XO machines can't even see the new network, let alone connect to it.

I even tried running the script to enable WPA with the new SSID and passphrase to no avail. The XO machines just can't see this new wireless network.

To get them connected, I connected one of the old Buffalo access points into the main wired LAN and the XO machines connect to it right away. So, while I had a work-around, I wanted to get this working as it should with the new wireless network.

I again double checked the settings in the new D-LInk wireless router and they looked good. Though I thought I had checked yesterday, I checked for new firmware on the D-Link web site, and much to my surprise, a Christmas elf seems to have posted some new firmware for the DIR-655. After installing this new firmware, not only could both XO machines see the new wireless network, the one I had run the WPA script on connected right away. Then surprise number two - with the 653 XO Linux build I put in the other day, the other connected with no hesitation when I put in the new passphrase for the WPA2 security I now use.

Bye.      [Cool]

D-Link hardware:
DIR-655 Router (HW: A3, FW: 1.11 - was 1.10)
DAP-1555 Bridge Mode (HW: A1, FW: 1.0)
XO build 653