16 GB SD card (okay, SDHC really)

Doug Jones djsdl at frombob.to
Mon Dec 24 00:21:37 EST 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Doug Jones wrote:
>> I stuck a 16GB SD card into my XO.
>> It works.
>
> OK ... it works ... where did you get it? I've only found 8 GB ones on line.

I have found three 16GB models so far.

The one I got is made by A-DATA.  I found it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245

Zounds!  the price has dropped $15 since I ordered it...

>> I went to Project Gutenberg and downloaded a PDF of 'Pride and
>> Prejudice'.  Been wanting to re-read that for a while.
>>
>> Opened up the Journal, dragged that entry onto the SD card icon at the
>> bottom.
>>
>> Then opened a terminal and cd'ed into /media, found the mounted SD card
>> volume, looked inside, found the PDF file.
>>
>> df -h told me how much space was left on the card.  It appears I only
>> have room for 20,000 more books.
>
> _Pride and Prejudice_ isn't all that big ... try some of the 600+ page
> programming books. :)

That book has no pictures, and compresses well.  But even if the average
size of the books that interest you is ten times larger, this card still
has room for thousands.  Certainly more books than I will have time to
read in the next 1.5 years.  And by then I will take this card out and
replace it with one that holds four times more.

All I need now is my yoyo charger and my rollup solar panel and a few
spare batteries.  Once I have those, I'll never again have to worry that
I might suddenly become marooned on a tropical island and die of boredom.