Need help using cellphone data network vs USB

MrSniffer community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Dec 23 23:10:16 EST 2007

sayamindu at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Probably you'll have to install wvdial (yum install wvdial), use
> wvdialconf to recognise your phone, and then dial out to establish a
> connection.
> Cheers,
> Sayamindu

Got wvdial installed. wvdialconf was not found by yum. So I created /etc/wvdial.conf from scratch. After a number of false starts, I was able to dial through my CDMA phone (Treo 700p) and establish a ppp connection.

But then the going got rough. The XO NetworkManager doesn't know about ppp connections, so things like DNS, gateways, etc. are not established. Ideally, the new connection should show up on the Network display, just like APs and Mesh nets, and one could select it. I have no clue where that code might be. I did an ifdown eth0 to disable my wireless access, but Fedora networking didn't use my active ppp connection instead.

Perhaps someone has a suggestion on how to make that happen from the command line?????????????