[olpc-community-support] A few startup questions

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Dec 21 23:14:35 EST 2007

phigan wrote:

> addition to SSH being enabled, I've seen builds that have a serial
> console enabled in the boot options.. even though there is no serial
> port :)

All builds have the serial console enabled because there _is_ a serial
port and the developers make heavy use of it.

The serial port is just not accessible for the normal user.  You have to
disassemble the XO and connect to it with a small special connector and
use a 3.3V ttl -> rs232 or USB adapter.

MP machines still have the male connector loaded on the PCB so that
developers (and interested hackers) can use it.  Sometime in the future
we may quit loading the connector as a cost savings.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child