[olpc-community-support] 1. Can't connect 2. don't understand terminal

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri Dec 21 17:27:09 EST 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007, Sally Colinvaux wrote:
> 2. I have been trying to follow your advice to  find which software I have
> & upgrade the software, but whatever I type in terminal gets me: no such
> file or directory; I am a complete  newbie, the terminal
> says:'[olpc at xo - 0D - 52 - 66 ~ ]$ followed by a symbol for a box'

Just a guess, but are you leaving out the space between cat and /boot?
(Assuming that is the command your trying to run) Commands must be exact!

Have not tested if this works with the OLPC, but on most Linux systems, a
terminal shell will allow you to cut & paste commands. Shell meaning it is
running under a GUI. A true command prompt will not...
--
William