[olpc-community-support] Three Questions: Password for Wireless, Sound, and Browser

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 14:17:31 EST 2007

Hi John! Welcome.

jbglapaz Guest wrote:
> 1)  I wonder how I can just click on my own Wireless Circle without typing in my numeric password all the time.

The XO -should- remember your password/phrase for your wireless. When you turn on the laptop, does it always ask for the password? Do you pull the drop-down box down and select HEX or ASCII depending on what you are entering?

One thing that may or may not be a good idea is to update to the latest official build (653) if you haven't already. You can check what build you are using in Terminal with the command 'cat /boot/olpc_build'. You can update in terminal, as root after 'su -', with 'olpc-update ship.2-653'. Once everything finishes and you get your Internet back up, go to Terminal again (as root) and type 'yum update' and finally reboot. This should get all the latest and greatest that is considered "stable".

> 2) I go to a mac.website of mine where I have an MPEG Garage Band file. I can get to the website ok but I cannot activate the player.

I could be entirely wrong here since I haven't tried any of this myself, but from what I understand there aren't many video types the XO will play out of the box. This is due to the licenses of those codecs. Check out the wiki page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/RestrictedFormats) for more information on that.

> I was tired and decided to download FIREFOX to see if a new browser would work. This was likely a stupid decision as the browser with the lap top seems to work fine (other than the sound) and I cannot yet locate how to actually open my firefox browser. This could also be because I am a mac user and I am learning how to use a pc with this lap top for the first time.

To run firefox, try going to Terminal and typing 'firefox &'. I haven't installed firefox myself, but I imagine it would take a while to run. Personally, I have been using Opera (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Opera) from the wiki page, without the Opera-activity portion (it doesn't work as of this writing). Once the Opera rpm is installed, just run it from terminal the same way, 'opera &' and voila! Tabbed browsing.

Feel free to let us know what worked for you!

- Joe