[olpc-community-support] My WEP connection experience.

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:13:42 EST 2007

palmiri wrote:
> Do you know if 653 works for WEP?

I believe 653 worked fine for me when I was entering my WEP key through the GUI. The drop-down had to be selected on HEX or ASCII, depending on which one I was using. The "open passphrase" option hasn't worked for me.

> Is it possible to connect to wireless network that requires authentication using Cisco VPN client (my school forces us to login to the wireless network using only Cisco VPN client)?  My XO connects to the network (I mean the outside of the circle turns white after a while) but how can I get authenticated without VPN client?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Cisco VPN client. What I would suggest, however, is to search for how to use the Cisco VPN client in Fedora 7. If by chance there is a command-line version, I would recommend attempting that approach. If there is only GUI, you might have to manually download the RPM, install it (as root) with 'rpm -vi <filename>', and then manually run the binary (whatever it may be called) from /usr/bin most likely. The important thing to know is that the core of the XO is Fedora 7 for the present time, but not necessarily everything for Fedora may work with the Sugar window manager :).

Thanks,
- Joe