[olpc-community-support] My WEP connection experience.

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:02:47 EST 2007

palmiri wrote:
> How about WEP?  This comment on ticket #5485 (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5485#comment:18) says "WEP works in some builds and doesn't work on others using the same firmware."  My G1G1 is 650:Q2D06 and I am not getting any luck connecting my WEP enabled AP from verizon FiOS. Any fixes available at this time?

One thing you could try is updating to 653. This is done as root in Terminal, by typing 'olpc-update ship.2-653'. Another thing you may want to try is to manually configure your wep key with iwconfig.

Boot the laptop.
Wait for it to automatically ask for wep key and select cancel. If it doesn't ask for a key, I wait for it to stop trying to connect to the mesh network.
Open terminal and type 'su -' to be root and then type the following:
iwconfig eth0 essid <your ssid> key <your hex key> mode managed
dhclient eth0

It should end up with you getting an IP from your router. If it doesn't, you can type 'iwconfig' by itself to look for information. Next to the eth0 information, there will be something that says "Link Quality=XX/100". That tells you how well you're connected to the access point. Below that it says "invalid crypt", if that is anything but 0 then there is a miscommunication of your wep key.

Thanks,
- Joe