[olpc-community-support] Jumpy mouse problem

soffen soffen at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 20:13:00 EST 2007

My OLPC arrived two days ago.  The first day the trackpad worked reasonably well after the 4-finger salute recalibration.  When I started it the second day (yesterday), the mouse pointer started jumping all over the screen all the time, whether or not I was touching the trackpad.  Later in the day the mouse pointer behaved normally.  Today, I restarted the XO, but the jumpy mouse pointer problem reappeared again. Although I was able to control it with the trackpad, the mouse pointer again began jumping all over the screen whenever I let go of the trackpad.  I read online in the FAQ about taking out the battery, letting it sit, then starting it again without touching the trackpad.  I did this, but the mouse again ran all over the screen and continued doing this for an hour.  After that the mouse behaved normally for a while, but then started jumping around again without my touching the trackpad.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions about how to solve it?