[olpc-community-support] USB Drive Limitations?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Dec 20 02:20:12 EST 2007

Carl,

There are many good 'Linux Cheat Sheets' of varying degrees of
complexity that you may wish to refer to. See google for details.

USB works like this:

When you plug in a USB mass storage device (e.g. a usb stick, MP3
player, or external hard drive), that device will be mounted at

  /media/<name>

You can determine <name> by listing the contents of /media with a
command like

  ls /media

Files can be copied off of the USB drive with a command like

  cp /media/mydir/myfile ~/myfile

Unfortunately, it may be challenging to get some parts of Sugar to 'see'
the files you have just copied into your home directory.

Best,

Michael