[olpc-community-support] WiFi totally broken?

Tommy tom at tomcarlson.org
Wed Dec 19 21:41:36 EST 2007

This is a little different than the other wifi questions. For me, the wifi seems totally broken.

No wireless networks show up in the Neighborhood view. My wireless access point is 6 feet away. I've tried it with WEP encryption both on and off. I've also verified that the SSID is being broadcast. But it doesn't show up at all.
My neighbor also has a wireless access point, which they leave open. Still, it doesn't show up in the Neighborhood view.
My other neighbor has a wireless access point, but it's locked down. Still, it broadcasts its SSID, which, again, doesn't show up in the Neighborhood.
I've also taken the XO-1 out to other locations with WAPs available. It can't even see them, while my PDA can.

My Neighborhood screen is blank expect for the lonely little icon for my XO-1 in the middle.

Also, the wirelss status light has never lit up. I don't know at what point it's supposed to do that. But it never has.

I followed some of the links given, which helpfully led me to running "ipconfig -a". ipconfig only reports back that the loopback device is there. It doesn't list eth0 at all.

I've also tried turning the radio off and back on via the sugar control panel at the command line. No change.

The wifi never worked at all, but, on one occasion, some error messages appeared upon boot. I took a photo of the errors, if case they would be helpful later. Basically, it says "Resetting the OLPC wireless" followed by "BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0, modprobe/895, ce7c0988" and a bunch of other messages. The spinlock group of messages repeated a second time, then it just sat there.

Short of exchanging it, is there any hope?