[olpc-community-support] can't connect to internet with WEP key

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Tue Dec 18 21:55:48 EST 2007

Last post seems to have been truncated.  Sorry if it's too long; I wanted to supply full info.
=====
continuing:
The real problem is trying to connect to my wireless access

point/router:

What questions help non-technical wireless users?
1 - Do you see the wifi Access Point in the mesh view?
YES.

2 - Have you previously successfully connected to this Access

Point from an XO?

NO

3 - Can you connect to the Access Point from another (non-xo)

laptop?

YES: two cases:
a. at the same time as attempting XO access
b. YES, but turn off before attempting XO access

4 - Is the Access Point displayed as protected (lock), or as open

in the mesh view?

LOCK; solid yellow with brown border;
ssid displays in top black box; bottom box all black

5 - When you click on the Access Point circle does it:

prompts for a window with:

B: a menu for "Key type" and another for "AUTHENTICATION Type"

6 - In case you have a protected Access Point what happens after

you type in a passphase or a key?

a. for keytype, I select HEX (14/128 bit)
then type in my 10 hexdigit WEP key, e.g. 1ab23cd45f

(doesn't seem to matter whether I use upper or lower case
[I called CISCO (linksys)--they said "Linux must prefix the key

with $ char" but the XO does not accept the $.]

b. for Authentication type, select OPEN SYSTEM--which works for my

laptop--
(but get same result with SHARED KEY)

c. click OK

The window disappears, the Access Point's circle starts blinking

and after some time, the windows is displayed again.

ON THE AP side:  The XO's MAC address appears at the AP's active

MAC table.
So now what?

jaustin at nc.rr.com