[olpc-community-support] AV software

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Dec 18 19:26:06 EST 2007

First, Linux/Unix systems generally have only needed AV systems to
protect Windows systems that they may be serving.

But in part that's because Windows has been an easy target, and one we
can't take for granted, if we want applications (activities) to be safe
to share on a routine basis...  The reaction to the problem has been to
"lock down" systems so that software is unable to be routinely shared
and exchanged.

So Bitfrost, not yet complete, is a serious attempt to raise the
security bar high enough that activities can be routinely shared, so
that there can be an explosion of applications for the kids to use that
will not require central control and administration for safe use.
                            - Jim

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 18:58 -0500, lovewindoze at gmail.com wrote:
> Cool. Not sure I understand bittfrost completely. But apparently
> viruses are not anything I need to worry about.
> thanks.
>

> On 12/18/07, Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero <dirakx at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Hi
>
>         That's why we have the bittfrost security platform.
>
>         http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost
>
>         we dont need Anti-virus software, :).
>
>         Thanks for your concern,
>

>         On Dec 18, 2007 1:18 PM, lovewindoze at gmail.com
>         <lovewindoze at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>                 I'm looking at my new XO and on the website and don't
>                 see any Anti-Virus software listed.
>

>                 I don't believe any computer should be connected to
>                 the internet without some protection.
>

>                 Any idea IF AV software is installed already?
>

>                 What are others doing to protect their machines and
>                 networks?

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child