[Bookreader] A small status update on Read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:49:01 EST 2009

Hello,
I realize that things have been a bit quiet from me on the bookreader
front, so I think it makes sense for a small status update.

With the release of OLPC XO OS 10.1.0¹ and Sugar on Stick Blueberry² a
number of bugs (and a few crashers) have been identified in Read's
EPUB code.

The crashers are mostly visible on Blueberry and the majority of them
are due to changes in Webkit's backend HTTP client/server library. I
have identified and isolated all of them (hopefully!), and they
involve changes to both Read's code, as well as upstream
pywebkitgtk's. I have submitted the patches to the pywebkitgtk devels
and as soon as they do a new release, I'll make a new release for Read
on Sugar 0.86.

As for Read on Sugar 0.84, quite a few bugs were unearthed
(footnotes/endnotes not working, XO game keys not functional, etc),
and I think I have fixed all of them in release 85³ If you are running
Sugar 0.84, either through  XO OS 10.1.0 or any other means, please do
test it out.

Also, in case someone finds it useful, I made a nice screencast of how
user-level sharing of ebooks works with Read at
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/shared_read.ogv

Thanks,
Sayamindu

1. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.0