[Argentina] [IAEP] Teaching with computers / Enseniando con Computadoras

Carlos Rabassa carnen at mac.com
Sun Nov 20 10:45:11 EST 2011

Spanish translation will follow as soon as I have a chance to prepare it

David, Alan,

Thanks.  These two short messages,  clearly explain the problem about which we worry so much.

We couldn´t have asked for more authorized opinions.

The full development of free software,  until it reaches the stage in which most users can use it without problems,  takes lots of time.

In my modest opinion,  we have in Uruguay a fantastic opportunity that will not last forever.

The people and the government are still quite enthusiastic about Plan Ceibal.

This enthusiasm needs a constant flow of good news in terms of results,  to stay alive and strong.

All that has been invested to date,  all the good results we have already seen and are seeing every day,  are too much to risk losing.

So the question is

¿Are we willing to take that risk waiting for Sugar or should we propose alternative solutions to the authorities?

¿What is more important,  free software or the education of the children who are attending school today?

Carlos Rabassa
Volunteer
Plan Ceibal Support Network
Montevideo, Uruguay