[Activities] telnet for OLPC

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Thu Sep 11 10:15:56 EDT 2008

mr jeffrey l ross wrote:
 > Want to run telnet with the OLPC. I am a ham radio operator and we are
 > wanting to use the OLPC in our emergency stations. We can use them if we can
 > get a telnet program to run as a activity on the OLPC. If you can help me
 > please write radiooperator at comcast.net. tks
 > kc8gkf

i think the easiest way for you to accomplish this is to start
with a "wrapper" activity like ExecCommand:
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ExecCommand

you should configure it to run a shell script which runs inside
a terminal session, all of which runs inside an xterm.

e.g.

-----------------
$ cat bin/telnet_to_host
#!/bin/sh
while :
do
    echo -n "Telnet to which host?"
    read host
    if [ "$host" ]
    then
	telnet $host
    fi
done

and then have your activity invoke this:
    xterm -e telnet_to_host

(you'll need to "yum install xterm", since it's no longer in
our builds by default.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org