[laptop-accessibility] Touchpad is not accessible friendly

Michael Reynolds uppitycrip at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:48:38 EST 2008

A trackpoint on a think pad seemed to work really well for me - in
fact - even tho the thinkpad i own is really old (I have an HP with a
touch pad - running ubuntu 8.04, i HAD to shut pressure sensitivity
off, and i cant stand it compared to my think pad.  but i could not
really complain as the machine new was under $400.

Due to spasms, the ipod touch and iphone are really annoying, (what's
even worse is that i know a guy who works on it's os - we went to high
school together...) tho - as david said other manufacturers - for me
LG - works fine...

Mike R.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:17 PM, David K Parker <davparker at gmail.com> wrote:
> All I can say is that I tried using the touchpad as a mouse and it didn't
> recognize my touch. This is true of every touchpad I've ever tried. The
> trackpoint style pointing device in the center of keyboards such as Thinkpad
> and some HP models work great.
>
> On another note...
> Many touchscreens don't work with prosthetic devices either. Apple has the
> worst track record. I have yet to find an iPod ot iPhone that works. It's a
> real shame that technology is becoming more of an obstacle than an enabler
> of people with disabilities. I know touchscreens can work with prosthetics
> as I own a Centro that woks great.
> It just seems that a project like this Laptop for Every Child should be more
> aware of barriers like this. Obstacles that can be easily remedied. I can't
> imagine that a trackpoint style pointing device would add that much to the
> cost.
>
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Tim hobbs <tim.thelion at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You know, I'm surprised, there are two functionalities on this touch pad,
>> the touch pad it'self, and a pressure sensative pad.  You may be able to use
>> the pressure sensative pad, your hook acting as a stylus.
>>
>> Timothy Hobbs
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM, David K Parker <davparker at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have yet to find a touchpad that works with a prosthetic hook. I tested
>>> one of these laptops at a conference recently, it did NOT work with my
>>> prosthetic.

>> --
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Timothy Hobbs
>> tim.thelion at gmail.com

Mike Reynolds, uppity-disability.net webmaster
"Why am I the witness and when I capture it
on film does it mean that its the end and I'm alone." - Mark Cohen, RENT