[laptop-accessibility] Touchpad is not accessible friendly

David K Parker davparker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:17:53 EST 2008

All I can say is that I tried using the touchpad as a mouse and it didn't
recognize my touch. This is true of every touchpad I've ever tried. The
trackpoint style pointing device in the center of keyboards such as Thinkpad
and some HP models work great.

On another note...
Many touchscreens don't work with prosthetic devices either. Apple has the
worst track record. I have yet to find an iPod ot iPhone that works. It's a
real shame that technology is becoming more of an obstacle than an enabler
of people with disabilities. I know touchscreens can work with prosthetics
as I own a Centro that woks great.

It just seems that a project like this Laptop for Every Child should be more
aware of barriers like this. Obstacles that can be easily remedied. I can't
imagine that a trackpoint style pointing device would add that much to the
cost.