[Wikireader] Quick intro re: offline viewing/editing

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:53:11 EDT 2009

Bjoern,

Two-way synch is the most interesting focus.  read-only fails for most
users some of the time, and helps them forget the reflexive desire to
edit whenever you see something that needs changing. I find that edits
are most likely to be at hand and pressing when one is not online.

You have the right idea with aggressive diff3 synch, adding then
suppressing new changes if there's a conflict, and notifying users on
the target wiki.  This has been suggested for mikmik and a few other
synchronization projects -- some variation on the theme should work
for any wiki.

I would add
 * a low-impact option that doesn't post updates directly to a page if
there's any conflict, but instead posts the update to an
offline-editor namespace, including the revision ID of the original
point of fork (for 3-way diffing by a conflict-resolution client later
on) in the post.
 ** you can abuse the fact that the revision diff tool in mediawiki
doesn't care  if the revs compared are from the same article title or
ID or not.
 * notify a group of users via a special page that lists offline autosynch's
 * note in the edit summary of pasted changes when you're integrating
offline edits (include details such as who the offline editor[s]
appeared to be, how many revs are being updated)
 ** (medium) you need to pass on changes to version history, not just
the total diff; assuming that there can be any users editing wiki B as
well as wiki A
 *** (advanced) similarly, deleted pages and deleted revs need to be passed on
 * pass through/upload files in the same fashion
 ** (medium) support for interactive upload process, where you can
resolve conflicts without cluttering up the page history.

Warmly,
SJ