[Wikireader] wikipedia-iphone on XO.

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Fri May 2 15:57:04 EDT 2008

<quote who="Chris Ball" date="Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:39:58PM -0400">
> * Some article selection.  Since it serves files out of the .xml.bz2,
>   we can accomplish this by choosing what goes into the .xml.bz2
>   (perhaps there are already tools for doing this?  I don't know much
>   about it) as long as we deal with the link-breaking we do as a result.

We can write something to go through and deal with the XML file pretty
easily to build these kinds of subsets. I worked on code that could have
been easily been converted to do this with (new OLPC employee) Erik
Garrison a couple early years ago.

Since we'll have a list of the articles (and their redirects) that we're
including in our subset, we should be able to scrub dead-links (the ones
we killed and the ones that were dead before) out while we're doing
that.

> Is anyone interested in volunteering for any of these bullet points, or
> adding more?  I'll also get in touch with the wikipedia-iphone community
> and ask if they're interested in working on any of these with us.

I've CCed Erik in case he is still at all interested. I'd be interested
in helping get Javascript rendering so we don't have to do that in
Ruby or Python. Perhaps the iPhone guys will take it as a patch since
it would reduce their codebase and, in all likelihood, improve their
performance.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto