[University-chapters] Idea for activity

Colin Zwiebel computercolin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:30:44 EST 2009

Hey,
I may be posting ideas that have already been developed, my appologies.

The other day I was thinking of the activities that are on the XO and what
would be incredibly practical to children in the developing world (or the
developed world, I suppose). Something I feel we are missing is business
education and market forces. There are many arguments that rapid economic
development is the only way to alleviate poverty. I don't know if this is
true, but we need people educated on these topics.

   - Business/Economic activities
   - Teach capital/resources/scarcity
      - Teach loans and budgeting
      - Teach market systems
      - Teach markup and value adding
      - Teach comparative/competitive advantage

Also, it may be possible that people in the developing world are able to
earn money through web projects, since they aren't location dependant
(granted you can get a computer and internet access). With this in mind an
activity on the internet/IT might be useful.

   - Internet/IT
      - Teach the structure of the internet
      - Web development (html, xml, css)

Not sure I want to spearhead these, but I would love to get them out there.
Feeback would also be awesome.

Enjoy,
Colin