[University-chapters] OLPCorps : a summer grant program for student initiatives?

Nirav Patel olpc at spongezone.net
Tue Feb 24 22:26:31 EST 2009

I heard about this moments ago through the grapevine (africans at mit ->
ict4dev at mit -> dso at cmu -> my inbox), so it seems there is at least
widespread interest in the idea.

Having a deadline approximately a month away constrains this almost
exclusively to students at a university with existing ties and work
with an educational project in an African nation.  I don't see how
anyone could establish a solid relationship with a local NGO or
school, secure funding, build a team, and submit a proposal in a month
without the first two steps already completed, but perhaps that was
the intent.

There are certainly several universities where that is the case
though, and funding the deployment of 100 XOs through them would at
minimum provide 100 more children with laptops, and more than likely
educations.  There is of course also the possibility of any of these
micro-deployments jump starting something bigger if
teams/organizations manage to establish other sources of funding, as
is the goal, I imagine.

Nirav