[Toronto-dev] [IAEP] XS Community Edition 0.2 Release & Invitation

Sandra Thaxter sandra at smallsolutionsbigideas.org
Mon Feb 11 09:03:31 EST 2013

Congratulations Everyone for an Amazing Accomplishment - and your
Dedication to Continuing to provide quality software products for kids all
over the world and their teachers.  It helps build confidence in the field
to have a new version with improved features.

THANK YOU THANK YOU from all Small Solutions Big Ideas and our sites.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

>  Toronto-area School Server Hack Sprint
>
> This weekend, seven dedicated souls pulled together to solidify,
> plan and build -- getting to know each other much better en route.
> What will schools worldwide really want from a server in the coming
> 10 years?  What's the most constructive community & solid product
> we as volunteers can build within 1 year?
>
> Careful advanced planning helped us release version .1 Friday late,
> strengthening our minimal core of AP-like features on an XO-1.75:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.1<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.1>
>
> Next we tackled version .2 with a small set of extended services,
> also for XO-1.75 but with experimental support for x86 "big iron":
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.2<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.2>
>
> Further down our main page (http://schoolserver.org) thoughtful
> documentation has begun under "Getting Started":
>
>   * Get Started Hacking (developers, contributors)
>   * Get Started Implementing (administrators)
>
> What's new?  In our prelim releases we're aiming towards a drop-in
> equivalent of February 2012's XS 0.7 but running on Fedora 17+
> including ARM.  Working forward, we want to refine core services
> for modularity (Squid, etc) and content/collaboration services
> (eg. Mediawiki, OPDS/Pathagar to curate ebooks, etc) in support
> of library-like "offline clouds" for very rural communities that
> won't have Internet for many, many years.
>
> We invite you to join, installing/testing scenarios most vital to
> your (micro)deployment and planet.  Thanks all who can help think
> this through, joining our Thursday weekly voice calls where you can!
> Finally, sketching out v.3 and v.4 is underway, eg. for modularity,
> GUI console and fuller support for x86, XO-1.5 and XO-4:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.3
>
> Early spring we hope to meet again to make this happen & much more =)
>
>  --
> Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

Sandra Thaxter
sandra at smallsolutionsbigideas.org