[Toronto-dev] Sat Sept 22: 11AM BBQ/Brunch & Community School Server Demo !
holt at laptop.org
Thu Sep 20 16:29:39 EDT 2012
Can we give the world's poorest schools "Solar-powered micro-clouds" ?
Join our early demo BBQ/Brunch to find out:
11AM SATURDAY SEP 22 (autumn begins!)
Elora, Ontario -- 1+ hr West of Toronto
/RSVP for directions and/or if you need a ride from Toronto, Thanks !
Volunteers will be presenting their progress on an exciting new
Community School Server, evolving out of OLPC's open-source XS project:
This new more modular approach incorporates schools' ongoing feedback
from Haiti, Philippines, Jamaica, Madagascar, Australia & beyond --
while building on OLPC's original http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server
*Teachers/hackers/volunteers/principals/educators especially welcome* to
come take a look, exploring the early demo en route to San Francisco's
global summit & hack sprint in a month (http://olpcSF.org/summit).
Please ask questions to help us all get ready!
* how specifically can an open school server strengthen poor
* giving them free & open tools to build tight learning communities
of teachers/parents/admins & kids?
* where do librarians, curators & scout leaders critically fit in
to a global culture of DIY learning?
* must 3rd world schools sit idly by as cloud-computing / iPhoney
revolutions pass them by?
* what global culture+institutions will best sustain true
*Technical/Red Hat/Fedora folks* are invited to join our efforts and
meet developers providing a firsthand look at our early Community School
* breaking apart OLPC's monolithic XS install into its core
component / separate feature sets
* porting XS 0.7 from CentOS to the faster-moving Fedora 17 (which
also runs on super-low power ARM processors like the 4-Watt XO-1.75 !)
* permitting easy migration to i386 and 64-bit platforms, and
trivially to new versions of Fedora (so we won't again be stuck on
Fedora 9 for 2+ yrs, etc)
* encouraging flexible features your school can add without harming
the rest, EG:
- WebDAV: /permits teachers to share files with students & one
- client-server user interface: /GUI administration by regular
teachers, across network/
- book server: /easier integration of Pathagar-like libraries of
- Moodle's LMS: /proven free source (e)Learning Management
System//, keep classes organized!/
/Remember to RSVP for directions and/or if you need a ride from
Toronto. Those who cannot attend are strongly encouraged to post
questions at http://schoolserver.wordpress.com/blog and on
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/server-devel where we'll be documenting
our progress soon, THANKS/!//
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Toronto-dev