[Toronto-dev] XS Community Edition prebeta test

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Nov 18 07:33:41 EST 2012

We're really hoping this will eventually help many different kinds of
schools.  Does anyone have time to test this today on an XO-1.5 or XO-1.75 ?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/Install_Recipe

George Hunt & Jerry Vonau have worked their butts off over the past week
especially.  We're not quite there yet, but plz admire/evaluate things
like :)

     * Registration
     * Squid (DHCP / named, Browse from an attached XO)
     * Moodle
     * ejabberd
     * VNC's admin page (see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/Install_Recipe#Further%20Quick%20Testing
)
     * Gateway: try to use your XS/XO as an actual
Gateway-to-the-Internet as George is attempting in NYC
     * OpenDNS stuff likely won't work yet
     * Stay tuned for partitioning of external disks (SD, USB memory
sticks, USB disks)

Send email for informal feedback please, privately or publicly! What
_you_ want to add in future?  Thanks all for getting in touch with
ideas/contributions/critiques/whatever.

In future we hope to work well with non-XO server hardware (big iron),
Puppet (sysadmin tools), Pathagar (ebooks etc), KLS (Karma Learning
System) and an increasing amount of Aleksey's work, far better
documentation, XS-0.8 monikering if/where appropriate, etc.

Of course, file proper bug tickets here if you can:
https://sugardextrose.org/projects/xs-config/issues/new
Registering here first: https://sugardextrose.org/account/register
As we're in a rapid bug-fixing stage -- please always include the
version of xs-config (type "rpm -q xs-config") and detail what hardware
you're running.

Thanks!!

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net