[Toronto-dev] [support-gang] OLPC Canada appears!

Michael Mak makamizz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 03:46:09 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael (MephistoM on IRC) and I am currently an intern at K-NET,
a First-Nations run computer communications company that serves the
North-Western remote and rural communities in Ontario.  Part of my project
here is to help compile, install, and promote open-source Linux
distributions and educational programs, including Sugar on a Stick, for
educators, parents and students in the different communities to learn from
and enjoy.

I'm not technically part of The Belinda Stronach Foundation (TBSF) and its
partners for the OLPC Canada project, but I have been in contact with its
director Wendy Johnson (Wendy.Johnson at tbsf.ca) during its development over
the summer.  I would suggest that the best way to get more information and
the wiki up to date is to get in touch with her.  I don't know if the
laptops are there already or if they will arrive Jan 2011, but I will try my
best to get in touch with the Chiefs and teachers in the communities to see
if they know more, as K-NETs coverage should include that area.

I also sincerely hope that the programs and the OS on the new XOs will be
open source, so that others can contribute to it as well!

Kind regards,

Michael Mak
BHSc III
Global Health Specialization