[Testing] Testing Summary, Auckland - 5 May 2012

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat May 19 01:31:21 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:06:41PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
> On 14/05/12 10:48, James Cameron wrote:
> >Thanks for testing!
> >
> >On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 07:02:05PM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
> >>We tested 12.1.0 for XO-1.75, customized (build 9) and 12.1.0 for
> >>XO-1.5, customized (build 9)
> >
> >On the XO-1.75, the internal microphone is only fed to the left
> >channel input on the codec chip.  The right channel should have no
> >audio detected when there is no external microphone plugged in.
> >
> >Do you think that our kernel should behave as if both channels have
> >the same data on XO-1.75?
>
> Does the audio system have the ability to flag that the microphone
> is mono? If so, that seems preferable to pushing the same data
> through both channels. Perhaps it is already doing this and the
> activities are misbehaving? Measure should certainly have the
> ability to turn off one channel it either shows the same data or no
> data when using the microphone.

The audio driver in the kernel could be changed, yes, but "flag that
the microphone is mono" is ambiguous.  I don't know whether the kernel
should duplicate the samples from one channel to another when an
application asks for stereo input, or refuse to set up a two channel
input stream.

> >>Hoiho does not boot if an android phone (with cyanogen mode and USB
> >>Debugging turned on) is plugged in, holding down checkmark we see
> >>the normal openfirmware banner and type the esc key to interrupt
> >>message and the 2 - 1 and then the laptop freees. I?ve also seem
> >>something similar with a USB Serial adaptor but haven?t explored
> >>this.
> >
> >This sounds interesting.  Can you work with me on that during the
> >week?  Will need to know firmware version you have on Hoiho.
>
> Sorry, didn't get to this during the week. Hopefully this week will
> be better. The version numbers are in the power logs (we put the
> laptop names into the comment field). Hoiho had
>
> ECVER: 0.4.03
> OFWVER: CL2   Q4D13  Q4D
>
> What would you like me to do next? I have a serial cable for the cpu
> serial port.

- with the device connected, does the laptop freeze if the escape key
  is pressed to reach the ok prompt during the countdown?

- is there any serial output that corresponds with the laptop
  freezing?

- if you can get to the ok prompt, try "p2" or "dir u:\" or "boot" and
  tell me which of these freeze the laptop.

I've further ideas once I hear the result of these suggestions.

> >>Poppy Copy, an XO-1.5 B2 doesn?t boot -- it complains about read
> >>only filesystems in the initramfs. We have reported this before, but
> >>still haven?t looked at exactly what is going on.
> >
> >The host name is set from the wireless card MAC address.  Poppy Copy
> >had a dodgy wireless card connect, check to see if it has gone dodgy
> >again?  The method of anchoring the wireless card was changed after
> >this point in development, so if it is caused by the mounting the
> >problem is slightly uninteresting.
>
> Poppy Copy has working wifi on the olpc-au builds. It does have some
> trouble with the wifi working over a suspend-resume. The error with
> os10 is https://plus.google.com/photos/118146064923365210751/albums/5468706263336090945/5744058263743493474?banner=pwa

Is an external SD card in the slot?  If so, check the write protect
switch on the card.

My initial guess is that the write protect function of the microSD
card slot has become defective.  I seem to recall some discussion
about this when we were working on the B2.

Please check to see if the write protect function is working.  You can
do that by several means, two that I can imagine:

- at the Open Firmware ok prompt, create a test file on the microSD
  card:

  ok to-file int:\test.txt words

- boot Tiny Core Linux from a USB drive, then mount the filesystem on
  the internal microSD card, and try to create a file,

If it turns out to be the write protect of the microSD card slot, the
problem is not useful to track, since it would likely be isolated to
that prototype.  I don't want to waste time on the prototypes.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/