[Testing] No Luck With Live CD Any Ideas?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 17 17:58:41 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:29:15AM -0800, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> No root device found
> Boot has failed
> Sleeping forever

If it boots fine on a PC (you didn't say), and not on your Mac, yet it
boots on Tom Gilliard's Mac, then my guess is the way your optical drive
is connected is different to how Tom's is connected, or it takes too
long to reappear after a bus reset, and this is enough to prevent the
Fedora "dracut" component from finding the root device.

> I googled this error message and the problem seems to be very common
> with Fedora live CDs and live usbs. There doesn't seem to be a
> definitive answer.

I agree.  I've heard this said quite a bit.  I think the software
component is fragile and not as widely tested as the Ubuntu Live CDs.

Apart from diagnosing the problem in detail, which would take some
hours, the only other suggestion I have is to say "it doesn't work on
some Macs, but you might boot it using VirtualBox on those Macs".

Have you tried the Trisquel 5 Sugar ISO that Tom recommends?  Being
derived from the Ubuntu Live CD infrastructure may make it so entirely
different that it will work on your Mac.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/