[Testing] No Luck With Live CD Any Ideas?

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Jan 17 16:00:04 EST 2012

On 01/17/2012 11:29 AM, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> I have spent 2 days trying to make a bootable Live CD of SoaS for
> distribution at our booth at SCaLE 10X on Saturday.  I have had lots
> of problems. Supposedly this can be done on both PCs and Macs.  Do any
> of you have any experience with this sort of thing?
>

> I  have used the instructions on the Sugar Labs Wiki and even called
> Apple. They walked me through the process on Lion (OS 10.7.2) and
> things seemed to go well until I tried to boot it on my Mac.  I got
>

> No root device found
>
> Boot has failed
>
> Sleeping forever
>

> I googled this error message and the problem seems to be very common
> with Fedora live CDs and live usbs. There doesn't seem to be a
> definitive answer.
>

> We need this for our booth Saturday! I have 100 blank CDs and sleeves
> arriving tomorrow and a disk burner to make the copies, but without a
> master we are "dead in the water."
>

> Here is a link to Tom Gilliard's great instructions:
>

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Introduction_to_the_Sugar_Interface

Caryl;

Sorry you are having problems:

Double Click on the sugar.iso you downloaded to the Mac Desktop
-this will mount it as a disk on the desktop

open Disk Utility
  -select the same .iso

Click Burn on top bar of Disk utility (circle with yellow and black sectors)
Insert CD
(burn)

This is detailed in a series of annotated screen shots from my Mac
Powerbook Pro i7 here:
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Burn_a_CD.iso_on_a_Mac#Burning_a_Live_CD_from_an_.iso_on_a_MAC

Hope this works.

Cordially