[Testing] Testing Summary: 18 February 2012 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Feb 18 03:59:36 EST 2012

Testing Summary: 18 February 2012 - Auckland, New Zealand
Who: Fabiana, Oliver, Rachel, Tabitha, Tom

Tested XO-1.5 AU build 171 11.1.3au and tested XO-1.75 build os27 today
Both installed correctly with no issues.
For navigational purposes - note that this report discusses the 1.75 build
first, then the Australian 1.5 build after that.

XO-1.75s
We had Clyde and Kid lock up completely on os27, on Kid this happened
twice. Are there any tricks to diagnosing what has gone wrong? If it’s
“just” the display, is there the equivalent of the caps log or num lock on
a desktop PC which tells you something is still alive? Is this information
even useful?

Record: Sundance and Clyde on Windsor network

   - Sundance - could record image (low and high quality), video (low and
   high quality, over 15 seconds), and audio (couldn’t choose quality). All
   saved. The high quality video had jerky frames.
   - Clyde tried to record a movie - it looked like it was recording (the
   bar was moving in the bottom) but the screen went black. Clicking stop it
   goes in an endless circling arrow cursor. Logs are attached.
   - Sundance shared Record - invited Clyde to join, invite appeared in
   Clyde’s frame but when clicked on it, Record didn’t seem to start. Noticed
   that Clyde could see it the neighbourhood view and could join. Clyde took a
   picture and Sundance could see the picture, but neither XO could see each
   other in the frame.
   - Restarted Clyde to start fresh and try to reproduce. Restart from
   right click seems to work fine.  Restarted Sundance with two presses of the
   power button, successful.
   - Checked the two XO-1.75s were on the same network on restart. Sundance
   can see Clyde in neighbourhood but not vice versa. Reopened Record on
   Sundance and it remembered that it was a shared activity. Clyde could join
   but they still don’t see each other in the frame.
   - Started a fresh Record on Sundance. Shared. Invited Clyde to join,
   Clyde clicked on the invite and it opened Record.

Notes from the other tester of Record - After startup on Clyde the
neighbourhood icon for Windsor wifi said ‘connected’ when mouseover, but
the icon does not show the blue brackets, and indeed when I clicked on it
it finally connected, but the blue brackets are going on and off. Clyde
does not seem to be able to see anyone in the neighbourhood. Now Clyde can
see the icon for Record but doesn’t see the icon of the XO that shared it.
OK, now I see it. We both stopped record (Clyde and Sundance) and Sundance
tries to invite, Clyde sees the icon on the left and can click and join.
Clyde tries to make a movie and it seems to work (in the sense that the
screen does not go black). Taking a bit of a long time to save - computer
now froze. Power light is on, flashes off when you press the power button,
ctrl-alt-f2 does not work, power off confirmation screen does not work.
Long power button press shuts down untidily.

Both Kid & Sundance, XO-1.75 C1 laptops, sometimes do not show that they
are charging if you plug them in while turned off. This seems to be related
to when you last used them, or maybe when you last charged them, as it is
not reproducible by turning them off and unplugging and waiting a minute or
two. However I see this often, so I suspect it is simply a matter of
waiting longer. I do not know if they are actually charging and not
displaying the charge light, or if they are not charging at all. I have
also seen the opposite, where the charge light was displayed even though
the adaptor was unplugged from the wall. I can’t remember what happened
after unplugging the charger from the laptop.

Physics on Clyde: after opening for the first time I could draw a line
okay, then the next two lines I saw the ‘blue’ cursor path, but did not
convert into a line - worked fine after that. Closed and started new and
the problem was not there. I tried again and I had the same effect, but it
seems to be dependent on the timing between when I finished my previous
line and when I am doing the new one. If the time is short, the blue cursor
path is seen but not transformed into a line. Maybe a ‘refresh’ thing or
something? I don’t seem to have the same problem with circles, triangles or
squares when I just click to repeat or when I do a new size and throw
several in a row. Physics otherwise seems okay.

Portfolio - Sundance found no option for repeat / continuous loop to choose
if you play the slides over again - think there was this option before, but
now I see a thumbnail view which I don’t think was there before.

Maze - Sundance, works
Implode - Sundance, works
Moon - Sundance, works
Memorize - Sundance, three preloaded games work, created one text game that
worked

Speak - Sundance, basic functions work, robot works, voice chat
collaboration fail (Clyde tried to join but got a new Speak not the same
Speak). Second time we hovered and then clicked “join” instead of clicking
on the icon directly and Clyde did join. Rosella (1.5 on AU build) could
also join. All said they were in offline mode but they did collaborate.
They don’t show up in the frame. Rosella repeats aloud what other laptops
say when it receives messages as well as when it types them. Clyde and
Sundance don’t repeat aloud messages from other XOs, only their own
messages. All see the typing. AU build on Rosella 1.5 has Speak 35 but the
1.75 OLPC build has Speak 33.
Used Browse to download the newer Speak 35 on Sundance and Clyde.
Speak 35 started on Sundance. Invited Clyde - didn’t work at all this time
and Clyde can’t see Sundance in the neighbourhood view even though Sundance
can see Clyde. Restarted both XOs. Started a new speak on Sundance. Sharing
and then switching to the voice chat it says you are in offline mode
(obviously incorrect) and advises you to share the activity. The activity
doesn’t appear in the neighbourhood view on Clyde. Sundance using “Invite
to” didn’t work to add Clyde (if this was real scenario then poor Clyde
wouldn’t be able to join in).

Fototoon on Sundance works. I assumed the “turn” button would turn the
photo, but it just turns the speech bubbles, just interesting and I wonder
if there is value in having an option to turn the photos.

Typing Turtle on Sundance works. What is oogonium and what is chmeer - they
came up in the alphabet balloons...

Often couldn’t see people in the neighbourhood view when all on the local
AP wifi.

Kid & Bonnie both have some trouble sometimes mounting usb flash drives.
Sometimes they do not get mounted but they do show up in /proc/partitions.
This does not seem to be consistent, even when using the same flash drive.

Measure on Clyde - Seems to be working okay - both the V(t) and FFT plots

Paint on Clyde - seems to work okay but didn’t try importing images.

Labyrinth (Sundance) - Adding an image breaks the activity, it is not
completely frozen but it is definitely not happy and it is hard to change
tools. The image kept being moved around and the size adjusted regardless
of what tool you thought was selected.

Finance on Sundance works

Write on Sundance - all seemed to work. Resizing images is really hard
(chose the smallest file size image that I had from creating images using
Record).

*****************

171 11.1.3au on Rosella
Release notes at
https://dev.laptop.org.au/projects/xo-au/wiki/120_release_notes don’t
clearly say what has changed since the last build. It’s also not clear what
“beta 2” is.

Music Painter (Rosella) does not play music. It’s not clear if it is
attempting to play but no sound is coming out, or if it isn’t even trying
to play when you press the play button. Sound recording and playback works
in record, so it’s not the hardware. Every time you start Music Painter it
seems to start a csound process consuming 100% cpu.

Rosella - The Sentelec FSP touch pad is not that great but not terrible --
the pointer tends to jump to the top of the screen but removing and
replacing the finger returns things to normal. olpc-fsp-fwread is broken -
it appears to have dos line endings, this is fixed with dos2unix. It is not
clear which config was loaded -- the 5F tools appear to be loaded and
verify did not return anything.

Rosella - Restart from the activity ring sometimes does not do anything.
Shutdown sometimes causes a restart instead of a shutdown.

Rosella - Terminal and new tabs within a running terminal always start with
a comically large font.

Rosella - Record seems to have an off by one error -- one line at the
bottom of the picture is either a static colour or an always changing line
of noise. Changing noise in this line is rarer and gives the video codec
some trouble in low quality mode.

Rosella - Using Browse to edit a google doc (we constructed this testing
report in a google doc) was not much fun, with long pauses where nothing
happened before everything you’ve typed suddenly appeared. This may have
been related to two csound processes consuming all the CPU, I only
discovered this right at the end of testing. The google doc disturbances
were not obviously related to suspend and resume.

171 11.1.3au on Ivy
Maze works
Ivy favourited more icons from the list home view to add them to the circle
home view, and it does change to spiral as expected.

Thanks
Tabitha