[Testing] Testing Summary: Auckland 26 March 2011

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Mar 26 04:54:43 EDT 2011

Testing Summary: Auckland 26 March 2011

Tested build au862 on XO-1.0 on MESH 1

Speak - basic speak functions work, pitch/rate adjustment, mouth/eyes
change, robot responds (still doesn't know its own name),
When testing spanish robot if you use the upside down question mark ¿ (as
one should) the robot doesn't recognise the string in some cases and
opposite in others. The robot can answer "Where do you live?" in English
with "Earth" but "de dónde eres?" in spanish is answered with "vivo en" with
no place followed by "¿y tú?".
Audio chat via MESH 1 works with two XOs.

Record - could collaboratively take photos, videos, audio and see them on
each others XOs. There was a delay before it started recording audio but the
user didn't know (so missed first line of the song being sung).

Maze - works, collaborate started but one XO froze and couldn't move
(happened a few times)

Write - collaborated with 3 XOs. Sometimes if someone is joining while
someone is typing everyone loses the bit that was being written. Added image
that we took in Record. It can be really hard to resize images. Added table
successfully.

Scratch - created basic script with sound and movement and it worked, icon
in Sugar home view didn't change colour when played

Paint - tested functions work, created minor masterpieces, can add image
from journal but cannot resize it (though can mirror and put upside down).

Read - no books to read :-(

Turtleart - basic testing worked, could create basic script and could show
images from journal.

Chat - worked with two XOs

Music painter - broken, won't play

Deducto - one user tested, couldn't figure out how to play

Typing turtle - liked getting a medal, certificate and positive feedback,
works, hard for adults on small keyboard

Labyrinth - works, could add a picture, could add links and labels

Clock - could see three types of clock, display time in full letters and
display weekday and date. Talking clock didn't seem to do anything.

Tessellations -  really hard to do with the touchpad, easier with a mouse,
this is the "pygame mouse issue", not the "funky xo-1 touch pad issue". Even
using a mouse, i accidentally stopped activity because of the stupid mouse
issue after completing 10 of 12 tessellations, then when restarting the
activity it took me back to level 0, not very happy at all. Luckily starting
from the journal allowed me to go back to level 11. There needs to be an
option to choose the level from within the game. This activity probably
should not be included in XO-1.0 build due to the touchpad difficulties,
better suited to SoaS with a mouse. The last pattern is the most awesome.

Implode works.

Physics works.

Memorize - collaborated with 3 XOs but first game it got muddled as to whose
turn it is and we ended up all having to quit as it just got more muddled as
to what was going on. started a new game and all joined it.second game got
muddled as well. Third game (each game a different XO started game) and this
time we joined the game one at a time with big waits in between. But worked.
Tested numbers, letters and music.

We had a 10yo so we gave her an XO-1.5 to use while we tested, it was
running 861 10.1.3-au2 Sugar 0.84.31. Here are her comments (some written by
me and some by her, sorry for the changing between 1st and 3rd person)...
Physics you could use this for maths for learning about weights and
balancing, could you add a scale please? and other than that I liked it!!!
Wikipedia you could use wikipedia for writing and reading, all subjects,
could help teachers decide what to do (planning)
Browse you could use for ICT
Turtleart you could use for ICT, art, maths
Write - she likes the fonts, is good for writing and topic studies, she
wonders if you type a swear word can Write stop you from writing anymore and
make you take it out,
Finance is good for learning maths
Chat could be used as a writing activity
GCompris Click game could be used for eye training but could be harder
tam tam mini activity could be for music
read needs books so that you can read
scratch could be used for art
tuxmath could be used for math and I found it really fun
arithmetic activity is fun can be used math could be harder
implode can be for a math game early finshers
I enjoyed playing on the XO!
Charlotte

Thanks
Tabitha