[Testing] Testing Summary - Auckland, New Zealand: 5 March 2011

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Mar 5 00:33:44 EST 2011

Testing Summary - Auckland, New Zealand: 5 March 2011
Who: Fabiana, Tabitha, Tom

Testing trisquel-sugar-4.1-i686-feb18

debian based, w00t!

Did the delete ~/.sugar thing (we understand later releases already have
this done)

virtualbox guest additions are not installed, so emulation does not resize
when you resize the window. Install the guest additions with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install
linux-headers-generic virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

After a restart you have proper integration with the virtualbox host. This
should be done before the image is distributed so the user doesn't have to
do it!

Pressing "become root" in terminal and supplying any password (not sure if
there is a correct one?) causes terminal to just quit.

Started Speak - sound works, yay!

Tried Record - it only shows audio, no option to take photos or video :-(
Could not record audio - you can click the record button and watch the timer
moving along, but then you get no output file.
After selecting the laptop's built in USB camera in the virtualbox devices
menu and restarting Record you get the photo and video buttons, but all 3
(incl audio) dont save a file, camera just has black screen. The light next
to the camera lens does come on. This behaviour was the same on an older
non-unibody macbook and a 6 month old macbook pro.

Tried using USB mouse but that is jumpy, touchpad is fine (in the Mamamedia
puzzle game)

Mamamedia puzzle game - would be cool if you could snap pieces together
outside of the frame.

Freecell - on opening the game an error message appears "an error has
occurred; you should probably just hit abandon, sorry!" with three options -
store log, abandon, or debug. The cursor does not sit on the card when you
are holding a card, which is a bit confusing as to where you should point to
let go of the card. You can drag the card table around which is probably not
so good.
Closing Freecell, reopening Freecell you get etoys window, not the Freecell
game. Etoys has an X for stop, not the stop sign that the other sugar
activities use.

Tamtam mini works.

Arithmetic works. Would be good if you could go to the next question once
you get it correct, rather than waiting the 10 seconds. If you get it wrong
or don't answer then some user feedback would be good. Should it be made
more obvious that this activity works best with collaboration?

Joke machine. Can't find jokes you make. Made a jokebook, added a joke,
click review submitted jokes and you can't see the joke you made.

Clock activity works.

Flipsticks works. Icons have changed since I last played this but seems to
make sense.

Poll works. Such a basic game, but so useful. It would be good if you could
use the results in another activity. e.g. put the graph into Write activity
to write about what you learned. Maybe a "save as image" would work?

Memorize works. Would be good if you could play against the computer, or get
a score card for yourself (how many attempts did it take for you to
complete, and a resulting phrase like "memory whizz" as an incentive for
improvement).

Browse works, must have automatically connected to the wifi. Looked in the
neighbourhood view, I can see other XOs but can't see any access points.

Tried changing username in my settings. It then logged out and you had to
know a password to get back in as the user "sugar". It has changed the name
but it was a bit of a problem not knowing the password! Before we started we
did the delete ~/.sugar directory that this older image needs and we had to
select a colour, but not a name?

Tried to Write collaboratively. Could see the activity in the neighbourhood
but when you click on it you get your own Write activity not a shared one.
Tried chat collaboratively and that did work, both with another Sugar in
virtualbox here on the same wifi, and Sugar in virtualbox on a computer in
another country (satellit).