[Testing] [support-gang] Questions Re: Skype on XO

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 03:08:34 EST 2011

Skype was probably the second most requested feature, after flash, among G1G1 owners.
I'm happy to report that both work _very well_ on the XO-1.5 running os11 thanks to the new Chrome video driver.
Installation is a breeze even for the non-technical if you use Fedoraplus ( http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/ ). You just need to "yum install usermode" first.
The only problem I found in Skype is that the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio dependency brakes alsamixer.
Not alsa just the mixer.
"yum erase alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" remedies that and everything works just fine.
Two way video conferencing or even desktop sharing!

Unfortunately my XO-1's camera ribbon is loose again and after the 5-6th reattachment I'm giving up on this (any spare XO-1 anyone... ;).
So I can not testify how Skype works with F14 builds. But with F9/F11 builds 2-way video crashed Skype and/or the system.

What I know, second hand from user-reports, is that Skype video conferencing works on the XO-1, using XOpup (puppy linux for the XO).
Given that the kernel/alsa/video driver is pretty similar with official builds it means that is possible in Fedora too.
The Skype/Qt combo that is used can be found here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/skype_static-2.1.0.81.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/skype_static-2.1.0.81.sfs
and my serve as guidance. (.pet is really .tar.gz with a hash)
One additional (but unfortunately still second hand) info is that geode 2.11.9 appears to work better than 2.11.11 or 2.11.12

Sorry if it got too technical.
Short answer Skype video-conferencing on the XO-1.5/os11 works fine.
On the XO-1, I do not know but believe is feasible.