[Testing] [support-gang] Questions Re: Skype on XO

Luke Faraone luke at laptop.org
Tue Mar 1 22:30:48 EST 2011

I'm not sure this is an apt question for IAEP.

On 03/01/2011 09:24 PM, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> I need to be able to do a 2-way video chat.  I would like to know...
>
> 1) How much memory does Skype take up?

Disk space: the RPM page is 18.7MiB, so I'd imagine it takes up a little
bit more than that on disk.

RAM: depends.

> 2) Do the instructions on the wiki at apply to 860?

I have not tested them, but they look like they should work.

> 3) What is the difference in performance between the XO-1 and the XO-1.5?
> 4) What is the reason for the difference, memory or speed or both?

Probably proportional to the processors of each.

Memory would only matter if Skype tried to use more than available.

> 5) Will I need to delete Activities before installing Skype?

You need to have sufficient disk space.

> 6) Does it run just in Terminal in Sugar, or is there a way to use it in Gnome?

It should be accessible from the Applications menu.

> 7) Can it run a video chat along with the text chat window for sending links etc?

That's consistent with my experience of Skype on Linux, I'd imagine it
would work similarly on the XO.

> 8 Do I have to have a PC to set it up?  I am a "Mac person."

The instructions provided are run on your XO.

> 10) What is "gstfakevideo"? Do I need it? Do I want it?

Hah, it has been ages since I wrote the video instructions. Those are
*definitely* out of date, and I would be very surprised if they worked.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Luke Faraone, Web Infrastructure Intern