[Testing] Journal copies file from external media to datastore before opening

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Jun 26 08:55:22 EDT 2011

I have identified a bug that I think is a duplicate of SL#496. Can
someone please confirm?

I've got this logged at https://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/784

The journal does not open or save directly from/to external media. If,
say, a USB drive is used, the file is copied to the datastore before
being opened. Changes are written to the version in the datastore and
not to the version on the external media.

Read test

To reproduce:
    on another computer, copy some files (I used JPEGs) to a USB stick
    put the stick into an XO
    in the journal, look at the USB stick
    click on the file that you copied

Expected behaviour:
    the associated activity opens
    the file on the USB stick is opened directly

Actual behaviour:
    the file is copied to the journal
    the associated activity opens
    the file is opened from the journal

Read/Write test

To reproduce:
    open Write
    type some stuff: "AAAA"
    quit the activity to save
    insert a USB stick
    in the journal, drag the Write file to a USB stick
    open the Write file from the USB stick
    type more stuff, so that the content is now "AAAABBBB"
    quit the activity to save
    open the file again from the journal
    you'll see that the content is "AAAABBBB"
    quit the activity
    open the file again from the USB stick
    you'll see that the content is "AAAA"

Expected behaviour:
    the file opened from the USB stick should contain "AAAABBBB"

Actual behaviour:
    the file opened from the USB stick contains "AAAA"

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia
M: +61 425 239 701