[Testing] [OLPC New Zealand] os873 on XO-1.5 and os873 on XO-1 -07/15/2011

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 23 20:13:26 EDT 2011

Hi Tom,

On 23 Jul 2011, at 22:58, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
>> XO-1.5's do not have Mesh networking support, so they use 802.11 Ad-hoc
>> networks.  XO-1's default to Mesh networks at the moment for compatibility,
>> because that is what they historically have done.
>>
>> Once an XO-1.5 starts an Ad-hoc network, the XO-1's will spot that network
>> within a minute or two, and use the same Mayan numeral as the XO-1.5 to
>> indicate its presence.  If all the XOs leave an Ad-hoc network it
>> disappears; but Network Manager/Sugar cache its presence for a while in case
>> a scan accidentally missed a network.
>>
>> When an XO-1 sees an Ad-hoc networks they are all filled in as "occupied",
>> because an XO-1 does not show the unfilled variants to allow an XO-1 to
>> start them.
>>

>> This behavior has been around since OLPC build 10.1.3 (860) & Sugar 0.90,
>> and is described at
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Ad_hoc_Networking
>>

>> I believe XO-1's can be adjusted to default to Ad-hoc as well if desired,
>> but Simon would be the authority there.
>>

> Thank you for the Nice explanation.
>
> It would be nice to have a control panel switch to make mesh or Ad-hoc the default.
> Then an XO-1 could initiate contact also.

Just a couple of quickies you may or may not find of use (for testing at least):

1) You can enable ad-hoc networking on recent XO-1 builds with (your neighbour hood view will be populated with the three new Mayan numbered adhoc icons as well as the usual three mesh icons):

	gconftool-2 -s  /desktop/sugar/network/adhoc -t bool true

2) Unfortunately I am not aware of current builds properly supporting disabling (e.g. a gconf setting would be nice) mesh network on XO-1 hardware… There was talk and some patches floating about, but I'm not sure anything landed. The closest seems to be the below terminal command, but it does not survive a power cycle, or sleep/wake cycle :( Maybe there is some power script this could be added to for folks who want to disable mesh permanently (until we get something more elegant in place for the future)?

	su
	echo 0 > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh

Regards,
--Gary