[Testing] Software update problems in OLPC 10.1.3

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:13:23 EST 2011

Earlier I wrote:
> One odd thing I notice is during Software update my /tmp contains two
> temp HTML files, titled
>  Activities/G1G1 - OLPC and Activities/G1G1Lite/10.1.3 - OLPC.  And
> the first of those points to Help-10.xo as the latest.  According to
> our understanding, Software update should only be pulling down one of
> those.  Hmm, maybe one of the other activities I have installed
> mentions the wrong update URL,

Bingo!.  grep'ing for url in ~/Activities/*/activity/activity.info, my
installed apps
Measure.activity version 31 , Pippy.activity version 38, and
TurtleArt.activity version 104 all have a line in their activity.info:
  update_url  = http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1

I'm pretty sure this is a BUG in each activity.  An individual app
should not be pointing its update_url at an entire activity group!

I'm not certain that this is the reason Help.activity is not getting
an update; if it is, then it is a BUG in the software update logic
that one app's bad update_url can misdirect other apps.  As I
mentioned before, the wiki ( http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_update
and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles ) doesn't explain well
how update_url interacts with activity groups.

> As mentioned by Gonzalo, please remove the /home/olpc/Activities/.groups
> hidden file if you haven't already after upgrading to 10.1.3.

I have a ~/Activities/groups from August 2010 containing the line
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1Lite

I'd love to see if removing .groups  or blanking those activities'
update_url solves my problem, but currently my XO-1 is having trouble
connecting to my wireless access point. :-(

Regards,
--
=S Page